A Chronicle of Enlightened Citizenship Movement in the State Bank of India

A micro portal for all human beings seeking authentic happiness, inner fulfillment and a meaningful life
==============================================

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Some stories of Positive Contribution

Story of Kumar Mohit, BM, Halol, when he was PO.

This incident is of the year 2005. One evening I went to our Alkapuri Branch, Vadodara to meet one my friends. As I was about to park my bike, a young boy of around 11-12 years of age came up to me. He requested me to get my shoe polished by him. Initially, I refused but he insisted for the same. I told him that I am ready to pay him 1 rupee without getting my shoe polished. But the boy said that he would not take the money unless he would do the job. I was too impressed, so I asked him why he was doing the job in the evening and not in the morning, when he can get more customers. The boy narrated his heart rendering story that his father is terribly ill. So for his father’s treatment; the boy had to do this job and he was attending his school in the morning.

I told the boy that I would buy the medicines for his father provided he took me to his home, as I wanted to see his father personally. The eyes of the boys were moistened with tears but he requested me not to tell his shoe cleaning assignment to his father, I consented to this.

Then, I took the boy to his home on my bike and met his father, I saw his medical reports. The man was seriously ill and was required to have regular medicines. I assured the man that I would provide him the medicines but also suggested him to approach Government Hospital as medicines for this illness is available there at no cost.

I took the boy to a chemist and asked him to give the prescribed medicines. The chemist advised me that these kinds of people run a racket faking illness to swindle money from people like me. Hearing this, I told him that this case was a genuine one, as I have already met his father at his residence personally. On hearing this the chemist said that he will also contribute for this noble cause and charged me only purchasing price of the medicine and waiving his margin.


Story of another PO, Neerav Chaudhary

This incident is of year 2005, when I was in 2nd year of my college. My college was situated 15 KM away from Bikaner City on National highway. It happened around 4.00 pm. I was standing on NH outside the main gate of our college. There were around 40-50 people including my college mates standing and waiting for the bus or having tea at it stalls placed nearby. In the meanwhile, suddenly two boys came rushing on bike at a very high speed and collided with another two students, who were also on the bike and were coming out of the college. The pillion rider boy collapsed then and there but the driver got a fracture in leg as he was saved due to his helmet. Student driver was also safe but his pillion rider fell down unconsciously. Some two-three minutes passed but no body came for their help.
Then I went there picked up the boy with his legs, then two more people came foe help. We took him to a Maruti 800 car standing thereby, I enquired about its owner. Then driver came forward and told that he has come to pick up another student. In the meantime that student came, I asked for his help in taking the injured boy to the hospital. He agreed to that. I went alongwith them to a hospital. Doctor examined him and found a wound in his skeleton. Doctor advised me to report the matter at the police outpost located in the hospital. I did the same, when I came back I found some documents in his pocket, with the help of that I called up his home. A police man came and informed that his family members were coming, hearing that I left the hospital.

After 4-5 days, father of the boy came to my home and met my father and told him that his boy has been referred to Jaipur and now his condition has been stabilised. He thanked me and my father. Later on my father told me that his father had come and the boy’s life has been saved by my timely help and he has thanked me for the same. These were the real fulfill moment for me. As, I was not aware, whether he would survive or not, but it was my duty as human being to take him to the hospital. But if I would have not taken him to the hospital, it was certain that boy would have died, and then I would have felt very bad that somebody died in front of me simply because he was not taken to the hospital.

Another Gem from Shri Ashok Kumar, SMECCC, Baroda, when he was on Probation at a Branch known as Sankheda.

Six month ago, I was posted at Sankheda village for my agricultural training. One day my BM received a message from his controller that we are required to visit all the 9 villages, which were under our area of operation for financial inclusion. A list of all the villagers, who were below poverty line, was also received. Our assignment was to open maximum number of accounts of these people within one week and report to the controller.

My Branch Manager requested all his staff members for conveying this message to the villagers. But no staff was ready to go and visit the village in the mid day of hot July. Finally, my B.M. asked me and I willingly took this opportunity.

We both (B.M. & me) went to the village named Akhakheda. There were no such people available to whom we could convey the message. I was surprised to see the situation. After visiting the village, we felt that the local populace were really need of financial inclusion. After some time I found in a corner of the village, there were few youths who were playing their local game. We approached them and conveyed the message and its benefit to one of the boy, named Ashwin. He also co-operated with us and asked me to visit the very next day after 5 o’clock because almost all the villagers were going outside the villages for their work and came back in the evening itself.

Next day we went there and were again surprised to see the response, many villagers were waiting for us, with a lot of queries and enthusiasm. We gave answers to all the queries and made them satisfied and at the same time completed all the formalities. Those who were not having the requisite documents were invited to visit the branch with all the necessary documents.

The next day, our branch was not only occupied with the villagers to whom we invited but many others also came along with them. The matter of opening of “No Frill Account” spread in the village like a forest fire. There was no adequate space to sit in the branch. I personally took care of them and arranged for their sittings. Within a few days we were able to open more than 200 accounts.

The view of the villagers with their own passbook was really a delightful scene to watch. They gave a lot of blessings and there was an attitude of respect in their eyes towards me. I felt I have received more than my salary and perks. It was really a fulfilled moment for me.


Story of H N Patel

In the year 2006 there was a heavy flood in Surat city. During that time I was posted as an accountant at our Station Road Branch. I used to commute from Bilimora. All the Branches of Surat city were completely under the water which has caused huge damage to the Bank’s property.

I had received a message from our Zonal Office, Baroda to arrange booking of 12 rooms around the Station area in various hotels for our disaster recovery team which was to stay in Surat city. I did what was told to me despite disruption of railway and road transport between Surat and Bilimora and I used to contact all these Branches and used to inform my AGM Mr. Rao the position of these Branches.

I personally visited our Branch and made inquiry about all our employees and submitted complete details to our controllers. We were able to start our Branch and cash was loaded into ATMs after three days of the flood.

It was my prompt service for my bank so that we could provide Banking services to our customers.

(Thank you, Mr B. Hari Prasad for sending these wonderful stories of positive contribution from Baroda - CitizenSBI Blog)

1 comment:

  1. very nice moments of inner fullness. thanks to the contributor. keep contributing.....

    ReplyDelete