A Chronicle of Enlightened Citizenship Movement in the State Bank of India

A micro portal for all human beings seeking authentic happiness, inner fulfillment and a meaningful life
==============================================

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Significant Change in Life

Moment shared by Mr Sudhir Rege, M. D. Secretariat, State Bank of Indore, Head Office, Indore during citizenship orientation programme on 08.03.2010 at SBLC, Indore

“I was working at State Bank of Indore, Anjad Branch (District Barwani) in the year 1986. One afternoon, at 3.20 p.m. one person came to the branch to purchase a Demand Draft. As the cash transaction time of the branch was 11.00 A.M. to 3.00 p.m. the cashier of the branch refused to accept the cash and advised him to visit the branch on the next day.
   The person got upset and repeatedly requested the cashier to accept the cash and issue Demand Draft. When I saw the Demand Draft application, amount of Draft was only Rs.20/- and Exchange amount was Rs.2/-. Although the amount was very small, the cashier was not ready to issue the draft. I requested the cashier that if cash memo has not been finalized, we may issue the Demand Draft and told the cashier that if he can accept the cash, I will make the Demand Draft. Finally, the cashier agreed to accept and I made the Demand Draft and handed over the same to the applicant. The person was happy and went back after thanking me and the cashier in usual manner.
   After about 16 years, in 2002, when I was traveling in a train along with my family from Goa to Khandwa, at about 6.30 a.m. near Bhusawal, the Ticket Checker came to check the ticket. I showed him our ticket, he saw my face twice and asked me, whether I belong to Anjad.
   I told him that I belong to Indore but for a few years (from 1984 to 1992) I had worked at Anjad Branch of State Bank of Indore. He suddenly tried to touch my feet. I got surprised and told him that I am sorry, I don’t remember you. He told me that he got this job because of me. I couldn’t understand how?
   Then he reminded me that in the year 1986 I had prepared a Demand Draft for him in the late hours at Anjad branch, favouring Railway Recruitment Board and that day was the last date for submission of application. If he had not got the Demand Draft on that day, he couldn’t have applied for the service in railways as he would have become over-age next time and as a result he may never have got a job in the Railways. He told me that his present job in railways is because of me. “I can’t forget you, sir”, he said.
   This incident gave me immense pleasure and satisfaction. We bankers accept cash in late hours a number of times, but we don’t know that by doing so, we bring a significant change in the life of some family. God has given us the opportunity that by doing our duty, we may bring a positive change in the life of many people.”

Contributed by SABU P SIMON, SBLC, Indore

No comments:

Post a Comment