A Chronicle of Enlightened Citizenship Movement in the State Bank of India

A micro portal for all human beings seeking authentic happiness, inner fulfillment and a meaningful life
==============================================

Friday, January 8, 2010

I decided to marry a widow

(Here is a citizen story narrated by one of the participants in a programme attended by me.
- B.K.Dash, IL-I, Bhubaneswar)


My sister Vijaya married at Hinjilicut, a small town near Berhampur. Her husband died in an accident with in a year of marriage i.e. in the year 1983. I could feel the sentiments of a widow to live in this restricted manner. In the year 1986 my sister re-married at Srikakulam and now leading a successful life. After my sisters` marriage I mentally decided to marry a widow. On 21st June 1987 I married to a widow as promised earlier. This fact was strongly opposed by our community. Then I started mobilizing the friends and relatives, caste persons etc those who are opposing the fact of remarriage of widow and the conservative nature of the community. After a lot of struggle for 4 years finally the community accepted our marriage and passed the resolution to the effect that hence forth there will be no restriction for remarriage of a widow in that community. Now there are a number of marriages in our caste and the widows live their life happily. This act of mine gives me immense happiness when I look back.

Contributed by E.T.RAO
KHODASINGI ADB, Berhampur, ORISSA.

1 comment:

  1. GREAT! Setting an example oneself is the best way to bring about a major change in society. I appreciate the sensitivity and empathy that made this happen.

    ReplyDelete