A Chronicle of Enlightened Citizenship Movement in the State Bank of India

A micro portal for all human beings seeking authentic happiness, inner fulfillment and a meaningful life
==============================================

Monday, January 4, 2010

Making a Difference in the life of a down trodden family

‘CITIZEN’ EXPERIENCE FROM SBLC, NUNGAMBAKKAM. CHENNAI- 29.12.2009

In the ‘Citizen SBI Orientation Programme’ held on 29th Dec, 2009 at SBLC, Nungambakkam a fairly junior colleague by name Ms. J Michael Agnes Santha from CPPC, Chennai shared her memorable ‘Citizen moment of Inner fullness’ which was really a touching experience not only for her but also for the entire class who were listening with rapt attention. The moment goes like this:
“I joined SBI on 9th August, 1996 and was posted to a remote area branch by name Kolappalur. I used to go to the nearby church often and one day I saw two or three young boys and girls playing inside the compound. The moment I had a look at them and their dresses, it was clear that they were hailing from a very poor and down trodden family. I slowly interacted with those kids and was proved right when they said that their parents used to beg and feed them with whatever alms they used to get daily. I also checked up with their parents and was shocked to know that they not only had food problem but also shelter problem as the entire family was living on pavements and platforms. When probed more, I came to know that the mother of the kids knew how to prepare bamboo baskets and to buy the raw materials they had borrowed from local money lender at very high interest. As the interest had to be paid daily, they found it very difficult to meet both ends meet. Many days they had to starve or drink only water. The moment I came to know of their plight I was deeply moved and was wondering why such a thing should happen to such poor people. At that moment itself I was determined to help this family, come what may.
I thought deeply as to how to help the family in a very useful way. I decided first to approach Mother Superior of the Church in seeking admission in their school for the three kids – two girls and one boy. Mother Superior told me that some initial expenses (for uniform, books, etc) will have to be made. As I had just then joined the Bank I did not have enough money. That was the time when our Branch received the Annual Staff Welfare Fund allotment of Rs.2,500/- which generally would be spent on coffee, tea, library, etc. expenses. I appealed to the entire staff as well as to the Branch Manager, citing the plight of this poor family and requested them to set aside the entire Staff Welfare Fund allotment of Rs.2,500/-. I was very happy when they all agreed to my request (even though I was a junior) and also added their own little contribution of money to meet the school admission and hostel expenses. On my appeal, our staff members as well as some customers obliged by sparing some old clothes for the kids. These steps ensured the kids’ school and hostel admission. The kids’ joy knew no bounds as for the first time in their life they were going to have a shelter and timely food through their school.
I wanted to do some more for the family’s income. I requested my Branch Manager Mr. Raj to find out some scheme through which we can finance for their bamboo basket business. Initially a sum of Rs.5,000/- was given as a loan for buying bamboo sticks. The parents of the kids were very happy to receive the loan at a cheaper rate and with their hard work repaid the amount in two months time. Next time a loan of Rs.10,000/- was given and again through hard work they repaid in very short time. This encouraged the branch to enhance the loan to Rs.25,000/- and by now their earning was steady and they even could repay their other outside loans. In fact a few of the gold ornaments which was pawned to local money lender was repaid and I asked them to avail our Bank’s gold loan at a very cheap rate. I also made them open a savings bank account with our Branch and they started depositing regularly their surplus money. Their joy knew no bounds at these positive developments in their lives including the education of their children. The mother of the children Mrs. Kamakshi, literally cried in disbelief as she said “I was all along thinking that our fate is destined to be that of nomads and we will die in poverty, when all of a sudden you Shatha amma came like a God in our lives.”
I went one step further to ensure hassle free education for the kids. I approached the Village Administrative Officer and the Tahsildar to obtain the caste certificate as they belonged to the SC / ST communities. I got the same and gave it to the family and told them about the various welfare measures, concessions, etc available through government schemes both for the parents and also for the children. My role model is Mother Theresa. Even though, I couldn’t do many sacrifices or yeomen services like her, I had the immense satisfaction of acting like a ‘candle’ which brought ‘light’ into the lives of one poor family. One day Mrs. Kamakshi, the mother came to me and showed her forearm and I was stunned in disbelief when I saw my name ‘Agnes Shantha’ tattooed there. I really started crying and was very much moved at this gesture of that lady, as I hugged her. I had the immense satisfaction of ‘making a difference’ to the life of one down trodden family and thanked God for giving me this opportunity. Of course my colleagues, my Branch Manager and some customers also helped me in all these happenings and I once again thank all of them. Later on I was transferred and Mrs Kamakshi came to my place to attend my wedding and stayed in our house for a couple of days. This is my ‘Citizen Moment of Inner fullness’ ”
The entire class erupted with claps on hearing this unforgettable experience of Ms. Agnes Shantha and appreciated her for being a true ‘Citizen SBI’ even at the beginning of her career way back in 1996. Before the claps could die down, another participant Shri. T N Santhanakrishnan, head of CPPC (and her boss) stood up to say that even though he was working with Ms Santha for the last six months, he knew her only as a silent worker and this brighter side of her was known to him only now and said that he would convey her achievements to the rest of the CPPC staff as soon as goes back. Once again the class thundered with applause. One learning point for me as a facilitator from this experience is that many times we do not ‘know’ our colleagues deeply as there is little time to know each other in our work place. We work mechanically without knowing/ realizing that there are several ‘gems’ around us.
S R Raghunath - Facilitator, Citizen SBI – Chennai Circle - sent on 04.01.2010

2 comments:

  1. very true words raghunath sir! many times we miss out the gems like this. thanks for bringing this gem to limelight through this blog and enlightened everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I wish the world had more silent givers like Shantha! If each one of us in SBI could shoulder the responsibility of one poor child to whatever little extent we can, sensitive to the little needs of a little one, we may never witness tears, hunger, fear and approaching death in the lovely eyes of a little one. God! Let this be so!

    ReplyDelete