A Chronicle of Enlightened Citizenship Movement in the State Bank of India

A micro portal for all human beings seeking authentic happiness, inner fulfillment and a meaningful life
==============================================

Friday, January 1, 2010

A Contribution - Jointly and Severally

It was a normal office day in the Regional Business Office. Amid flurry of phone calls and signing letters, a messenger entered my cabin with a visitor’s slip bearing a lady’s name. I had noticed that since I took additional charge of RASMECC, the number of my visitors had sharply increased . They came with usual complaints about delays in sanction and various objections raised by processing officers.

Now it was almost one month since I took over dual charge of Regional Office and RASMECC. Luckily , RASMECC Head , who had been drafted as facilitator of SBI Citizen Training, was due to return next day and boy, was I looking forward to his return!

I steeled myself for another barrage of complaints and called my visitor in. However, to my chagrin , I saw not one but three visitors streaming into my cabin : two ladies ; apparently mother and daughter, and a somewhat strange looking frail young man who turned out to be brother of the young lady. It was about a housing loan which had turned into NPA.

After a while it became clear that the daughter was the spokesperson and the Housing Loan was in the name of her father. Her mother was silent all along. They wanted some relief - a compromise. I was already busy with other issues and thinking that RASMECC Head was in any case joining tomorrow, I tried to brush her off. I suggested that she should go and see the SAARC Incharge; he will be the right person to discuss this. “I have met him, Sir”, pleaded the daughter-“ But my offer of compromise was not accepted.”

Now I started inquiring in detail. It turned out that her father had died sometime ago and her brother was mentally deranged. Mother was not employed anywhere but daughter was earning a small amount through petty business activities. Despite their meagre means she was offering a compromise so that the family could retain a roof over their head. Apparently they had received notices from RASMECC.

“Well, if the offer is not acceptable to the bank, why don’t you raise it a little?” I asked . Daughter suddenly looked at her mother and told me –“ Sir, my mother is suffering from AIDS, here is her doctor’s prescription and certificate.”

Suddenly the family’s plight hit me hard : here was a family where father had died, mother had contracted a terminal illness, the only son was mentally unfit and the daughter was not in any regular employment yet they wanted to square off their bank- loan in a dignified manner by requesting a compromise. I briefly discussed it with my Chief Manager (Rural) and asked her to come next day with a proper offer letter.

Next day , when she came, RASMECC Head had joined his duty. Before sending her to RASMECC, I picked up phone and pleaded with AGM of the Cell on behalf of the family and asked him to see how much relief he could offer to them. He listened to me attentively and promised to look into the matter.

In the evening he called back-“ Boss, we have haggled a bit , but accepted her compromise offer.” I don’t know why but I experienced an unexplainable feeling of satisfaction. Somehow I felt that three of us viz my CM(Rural), AGM (RASMECC) and myself , made a small but significant difference in somebody’s life.

We did not perform any stupendous or earth shattering task but whatever little we did, it was worth doing.

Siddharth Bajpai
Regional Manager, Region 5, Ujjain (MP)

3 comments:

  1. thanks for this emotional sharing. I sincerely wish that everyone should get many more such opportunities to positively contribute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was moved to tears by your story. There are some bad apples everywhere too. I have my own gripe with RASMECC in Shillong. To whom should I air my complaints?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may call AGM, RASMECC, Shillong at 9436303355 or DGM (O&C, NW-2) at 0361-2237502.

    Regards..

    ReplyDelete