A Chronicle of Enlightened Citizenship Movement in the State Bank of India

A micro portal for all human beings seeking authentic happiness, inner fulfillment and a meaningful life
==============================================

Sunday, December 6, 2009

CITIZEN MOMENTS

I would like to share my personal experience which I had shared already in the practice session of Master Facilitators training at Gurgaon and liked by others too and built the Tree of Fulfilment.

Right from the time I joined the Bank in January 1990 at Personnel Section, Zonal Office, Jaipur, I used to address everybody with respect. Quite often, I used to see people calling the messengers and other menial staff in singular fashion to get the work done. This practice of addressing everybody with respect touched their ego too and people remember me even now in the Zona Office, Jaipur though it is almost 17 years since I had left that place. There, I also used to help messengers and guards appearing for their promotional examination by teaching english and maths as I was quite new at that time in the Bank after having been through the BSRB exams. This made me to connect very well with everyone around there in that place eventhough I belonged to a different state and linguistic region. The singular point that united everybody there was that we all are employees of SBI. Only, after getting into this Project Citizen SBI I realised that these are Citizenship qualities and felt happy about the same.


Continuing this further, when I was posted as Branch Manager of Personal Banking Branch, Ramnagar, Coimbatore, Chennai Circle (new branch opened by me) betwwen 2004 and 2007, our Branch had a messenger who was very passive and bogged down to doing things in a routine manner and not interested in his development and development of the Branch. I used to always tell him to apear for his promotional exams offering my help along with my Field Officer.

As time passed by, I took active interest in covering Home Loan borrowers under Group Insurance Scheme of SBI Life and the branch started getting very good incentive. As I am a AMFI Certifed Employee, I was also getting sizeable commission for doing Mutual Fund business. I used to collect these money (including my individual incentive) and give Gold Coins of 2gms, 5gms to all the staff members at the year end. This made the messenger's family members very happy and he also used to say that this is the first time he is getting something like this from the Bank and started taking active interest. He took active interest in arranging to keep the MF application forms in the Banking Hall and also in the ATM room. A dull and passive person became very active and started taking interest in appearing for his promotional exams also. He used to sit with us in the Branch late in the night to study and I used to clarify his doubts. He cleared the written exams and was appearing for his skill test in computers. I made him practice in the branch PC after office hours to get practical hands on training for the test. By then, I got transferred and got posted to Zonal Office, Madurai. Subsequently, that person appeared in the personal interview also and got promoted as a Clerk and is now happily posted in a branch near Coimbatore. He called me up to thank for all the help rendered by me in his development which was shared by his family members also. This transformed the life of that person and he is leading a happy life with his family which will be cherished be me forever and the fulfilment I derived out of that situation. I realised that I too can help a person to transform his life and help others also wherever I am posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment